There is no need to feel stressed out when traveling with a dog. Proper grooming will make sure your furry friend is travelling comfortably, and will leave them looking their best. Here are a few tips to follow:
- Set a rules: One of the most important things you can do when traveling with a dog is establish clear rules about their grooming. This will make it easier for both of you to understand each other better.
- Be prepared for their quirks: There are always going to be some behaviors your dog may have that you don’t expect. If you are not comfortable with these quirks, be prepared to tell your dog “No” and be clear on why.
- Stay relaxed: Dogs can be quite stressed when traveling. Make sure to adjust your body language, and keep your hands calm and still. Dogs will understand and will be more likely to relax.
- Determine the length of your stay: your dog’s expected travel timeframe will be a key factor in deciding how much time you SHOULD spend on grooming them. If you are flying in and out of different airports frequently, make sure to do a check-up on your dog during your trip.
- Make time for play: Dogs will spend a lot of time on their back when traveling, so make sure to give them plenty of time to lounge around and run around. You don’t want them to get overwhelmed and start to feel stressed.
- Be prepared for a Shutdown: There will be times when your dog will have to stay at home or will have to stay with you during your trip. Make sure to have a backup plan in place for when the dog’s stay expires.