Select Page

It’s every traveler’s worst nightmare: You’re at the airport, about to board your flight, when you realize you don’t have your passport. You search your carry-on bag and your pockets, but it’s nowhere to be found.

Don’t panic! Losing your passport while you’re traveling doesn’t have to ruin your trip.

Here’s what to do if you lose your travel passport.

First, if you’re abroad, contact the nearest embassy or consulate of your home country. They can help you replace your passport and get you back on your way.

Giving Passport To Embassy Worker

If you’re in the United States, you can replace your passport at any passport office, acceptance facility, or by mail. Passport offices are located in many major cities, so you may be able to get a replacement passport quickly and without having to travel far.

The process for replacing your passport is fairly simple. First, you’ll need to fill out an application form. You’ll also need to provide proof of your U.S. citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate. You’ll need to submit two passport photos, as well as a $60 fee for a new passport book or a $30 fee for a passport card.

If you have a valid passport and you’re simply looking to renew it, you can do so by mail. You’ll need to fill out an application form and submit it, along with your most recent passport, two passport photos, and the appropriate fee.

Losing your passport while traveling can be stressful, but it doesn’t have to be the end of your trip. With a little planning and effort, you can get a replacement passport and be on your way.