If you’re planning on traveling to the UK from the USA, there are some things that you need to prepare beforehand. You should check your travel documents first and foremost, as well as let your bank know about your travels so that they can block any possible fraudulent charges from being made when you’re away. Make sure you have enough cash and credit cards with you for emergencies and book a hotel room in case there are any delays with flights arriving or departing from the airport.
Check your travel documents
When your travel documents are up to date, you can rest easy knowing that there won’t be any problems when it comes time for your trip. Make sure your passport is valid, as well as all other relevant visas and documents. Additionally, make sure to check whether or not your travel insurance is still valid. Lastly, double-check that everything in your name has not expired or been canceled.
Have a valid US passport
The United Kingdom is an island country in the northern part of Europe. It consists of 2 islands: Great Britain and Ireland. The capital city is London, which is also one of the largest cities in Europe.
You can enter the UK without a visa if:
- You are traveling for tourism or business purposes for up to 90 days or 6 months if you’re from a country within the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, or;
- You are under 15 years old and traveling for holidays with your family;
- You are 16-17 years old and have school-related activities such as attending a summer camp or concert tour;
- You have been invited by someone who has been granted British citizenship, residence permit, or indefinite leave to remain in the UK (ILR).
Let your bank know you’re traveling
- Ask for a letter from your bank to show you are a customer
- Ask for a letter from your bank to show you are allowed to use your card abroad
In the event of an emergency, it will be easier for your family and friends in the UK to reach out and help if they have access to this information.
Get travel insurance
There are many reasons why you may need travel insurance. In case of a delay or cancellation of your flight, travel insurance can help you reschedule your trip without any hassle. Similarly, if the luggage is lost in transit and needs to be replaced, insurance will cover the cost of new items. Lastly, if medical emergencies arise during your stay in England (or elsewhere), then again it is advisable to have travel insurance as it will reimburse all expenses related to the treatment.
Get some cash and your credit cards ready
- Make sure you have some cash on hand, in case your credit card is rejected for any reason.
- Have enough cash for tipping, taxi fare, and food.
- You should also have some money set aside just in case any emergencies pop up while you’re away from home.
Book a hotel to stay the night in
Book a hotel to stay the night in. You’ll need to be close to the airport, city center, train station, and bus/ferry terminal. If you can find a place with free WiFi that’s even better! When you book your flight ticket, it’s best to give yourself some extra time before or after your flight so that you have time for any delays or changes of plans.
If you’re going to fly from the USA to the UK, be sure to prepare these things beforehand.
If you’re going to fly from the USA to the UK, be sure to prepare these things beforehand:
- Check your travel documents. Make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months and that it’s got a clean record. If not, it may be time for a new one!
- Let your bank know you’re traveling. This is especially important if you have credit cards or other accounts which are not linked directly to an American bank account (ie., in another country). Ask them what they recommend doing with these accounts while away so they don’t accidentally get closed while you’re gone.
- Get travel insurance before your departure date and make sure it covers medical care outside of the US should anything happen during your trip abroad!
You should be all set for your trip to the UK. You’ll have a safe and comfortable journey with these tips, and you can enjoy your time in the country knowing that everything is taken care of.